Application for establishing a branch by a foreign bank
|Name of the Application form：||Application for establishing a branch by a foreign bank|
|Responsible agency：||Foreign Bank Division, Banking Bureau, Financial Supervisory Commission|
|Application forms available for downloading：|| |
|Legal basis：||Laws and Regulations Retrieving System of the Banking Bureau|
|Application process：||Application flow chart(DOC FILE)|
|Documents required to be attached：|| |
Foreign banks applying for establishing branches in Taiwan shall prepare the following written documents and send them to the competent authorities to apply for approval:
1. Application form.
2. Feasibility analysis in which the contents shall include the following:
(1) Operating strategic considerations for setting up the branch in Taiwan including headquarters’ operating strategies and comparisons of political, trading and financial status between Taiwan and its neighboring countries.
3. Bank’s basic information, in which the contents shall include the following:
(1) Organization: Covering bank profile (including the course of acquisition), organization of respective major divisions, global branches, network, share holding and business status of holding companies along with subsidiaries, and supervision as well as management applied by the headquarters to overseas branches (including the scope and time of examination).
4. The rank of the foreign bank’s capital or assets in the world major banks, and the rating given by world acknowledged rating institutes in the previous year.
5. Self-evaluation and analysis as to the foreign bank’s law-abiding and integration degree in business operating including whether default, scandal, or punishment occurring in the past five years.
6. The documents showing the approval of the financial competent authorities of the foreign bank’s home country for setting up the branch in Taiwan.
7. The documents issued by the financial competent authorities of the foreign bank’s home country for agreeing to cooperate with Taiwan to supervise the bank’s consolidation and management, and proving the bank’s well-rounded financial and business status.
9. The resumes and related certificates of the managers that the foreign bank plans to appoint for its branch in Taiwan.
(1) Market positioning, operating strategies, and future development plans
11. The resolution record or equivalent documents showing the approval of the foreign bank’s board of directors for setting up the branch in Taiwan.
12. The certificate of the ratio of proprietary capital to risk assets of the foreign bank at the end of the latest year issued by the certified public accountant.
13. In the case that the attorney or public certified account is entrusted to file the application, the responsible person of the bank shall issue a letter of authorization.
15. The documents proving corporate qualifications and the accreditation of the bank permit issued by the competent authorities of the foreign bank’s home country.
16. Constitution certificate.
19. The statement of the bank’s Taiwan litigation and non-litigation agency.
20. Other data or documents required to be submitted as regulated by the competent authorities.
Before starting its business in Taiwan, the foreign bank shall complete the following procedure within eight months after being approved to establish or add the branch. In case of failure to start the business in due time, the competent authorities are entitled to withdraw the approval:
2. Dispatch of the list of items for foreign banks to apply for the permit of their branch operating in Taiwan to the competent authorities for examination and approval.
Application for the foreign company permit or change permit and branch registration according to Company Law and related regulations.
3. Dispatch of the list of items required to be stated on the business license to the competent authorities for the issue of the bank’s business license, and payment of the license fee.
4. Reporting the branch’s business start date to the competent authorities for future reference, making an announcement in Chinese at the place where the branch is located for the items stated on the business license issued by the competent authorities, pursuant to article 55 of the Act.